Friday, September 10, 2010

Mont St Michel




"Michel" of Mont St Michel







During our stay in Brittany, we actually made a little foray into Normandie, to go to the Mont St Michel. It was only about an hour drive away, and it was something both Thomas and I have wanted to do for awhile. If anyone doesn't know what Mont St Michel looks like, all I can say is look it up, because we have no impressive pictures from far away. But I explained it to Alina in this way, "A fairy castle in the middle of water." It really does look cool from the outside, but we figured any pictures we would take through the bus window wouldn't be as cool as a postcard.

The thing is, it looks so cool from far away, and we had heard so much about it, that we actually found the whole thing a bit disappointing. It was literally crawling with tourists, and it was just sort of this chain of people walking up a bunch of stairs, and then coming back down. The church was neat, I guess, but I've seen neater churches where you could actually sit, or wander around and enjoy them. Anyway, we were glad we went, but I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype.
As you can see from the pictures, it was also pouring down rain part of the time. Fortunately, we were prepared, and with raincoats, it actually wasn't too unpleasant. Tassia decided that she wanted to walk all the time ("walking" for her still meaning holding onto someone's hand). She got pretty upset when we insisted on carrying her. And, she did bite her sister once when she got in her way. Then she fell asleep in her Papa's arms on the way back down.

No comments: