We just got back from a four-day camping trip, which was to be, in my mind at least, one of the highlights of our American vacation. We did have a wonderful time with my parents and Matthew and Jessica and two of our nieces, as well as their friend Melissa. The thing is, camping is always an adventure. Especially when you have 5 girls under the age of 6, plus of course 7 adults and two large dogs. The high-speed winds that almost knocked down one of the tents one evening provided some action. The girls got to go on their first fishing trip. Unfortunately, the first fish will have to wait until later. We had our first S'mores, and I think we set some sort of benchmark in terms of dirt accumulated on small bodies. We also had the pleasure of waking up one morning being 5 in our 2-person sleeping bag. And I somehow develop stomach cramps whenever I eat a meal involving grilled hot dogs or hamburgers and potato chips.
We chatted around the fire, went for walks, and my girls actually got to play "Duck Duck Goose" for the first time. It was also the occasion for much story-telling, as Alina's favorite line is now, "Mama, tell me a story about when you were little." We're all a little tanner, if you don't count the mosquito bites. (Note to self, lake+low-altitude camping=mosquitoes) Alina tried to set a chipmunk trap and I promised her that if she could catch one, she could keep it as a pet. (Figures I was pretty safe on that one.)
Thomas and I also had an important moment of honesty when, in the middle of the night, he said to me, "Dawn, je t'aime. Je t'adore. Mais je hais le camping." Unfortunate...
3 comments:
Thomas n'est pas joueur....Ceci dit la dernière fois que j'ai dormi en tente, c'est-à-dire l'été dernier, je me suis dit que j'aimais le confort et que j'avais passé l'âge de dormir à même le sol. Je compatis donc...
Si la nourriture, qui t'a dérangé l'estomac, fut aussi servie à Tom, alors je compatis...avec lui!...(mdr)
LOVE your hubby's moment of honesty! :o)Just emailed you.
Post a Comment