Saturday, December 1, 2007

Being green

So, what does it take before you become an environmental nut? It's true we don't buy everything organic, but we're doing it more and more. My latest thing is that I have seeds sprouting in a jar on my kitchen counter. My father-in-law now thinks I'm crazy. Of course, he thought that before. But, anyway, you can buy a special thing to grow seeds, but I opted for the jar method. Simple, and very low-cost. Today, 5 days into the experiment, I decided that they were sufficiently sprouted and that we needed therefore to eat them. So, at lunch, we had a salad with sprouted barley seeds. (Also known as barley spouts, I suppose.) It was pretty good, and Thomas said he liked it, too. It's organic, easy, cheap, and supposedly full of vitamins. Yay!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

saint Jean Baptiste aimait aussi les sauterelles... Vous transformeriez-vous subtilement en Salomée? Gare donc à Ours Martin!

Alain...

Dawn said...

Ouaih...et je lui coupe les cheveux aussi!

Mike and Noel and Co. said...

Hey! Quit speaking in tongues! Actually, cool blog. You guys still up for visitors from the states every once in a while?

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE!!!

And, our improved accomodations more than make up for the extra train ride. We promise.

Anonymous said...

Cesser de parler en langue? Vous devrez vous y habituer. Le français est la langue du paradis, car cela prend une éternité pour la maîtriser parfaitement...

Alain

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn, Your not crazy and home grown sprouts are GREAT. Thanks for reminding me. Over a year ago I was sprouting a lot. I used to mash up an avacado and some garlic. I would spread that on a flour tortilla and then put around a cup of sprouts on it with some cheese and roll it up and it was so good. I was eating that every day for lunch. There is a book called The Sprout Book that is very informative. Sprouts are very nutritious. Thanks for reminding me I think I will go start a jar of sprouts right now.
Holly Cary