Tonight, I made home-made tortillas for the first time. Why, you might ask? Well, thank you for asking. The thing is, buying tortillas here is a bit complicated. Usually my local grocery store has them, but sometimes they don't. And, it seems that when they don't is when I was counting on them the most. They also seem like they're pretty expensive compared to what I vaguely remember paying for them during my UNC years. But, most of all, I've started reading labels more and more. You'd be astounded at how many unpronounceable chemical-sounding ingredients they can put in a stack of tortillas. Especially since, when you make them, the recipe is: flour, salt, oil, water. That's it.
They turned out OK. A bit thicker than the store-bought variety, but very definitely edible, and very definitely tortillas. The hardest part was peeling them off of my kitchen table once I had gotten them rolled out. The result bore only a remote resemblance to the perfectly-round tortillas that come in a bag. These were definitely more...amoeba-shaped. Some even came complete with holes.
I'm torn as to whether it was worth the time and effort. I figure I should try it at least once more because, hey, surely I'll just get better at it the more I do it, right? In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, be sure to let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment