Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sign Language

Shortly after Alina was born, Thomas and I decided that, when she got a little older, we would try to teach her sign language. The theory being that a baby has the desire and motor skills to communicate in signs before they are able to use words. Our good intentions lasted for about 3 weeks. I blame that short life-span on our trip to the US in May. Somehow, the excitement and different schedule put an end to our efforts.

Well, now I can definitely say that Alina has a desire to communicate that far outstrips her vocal abilities. Fortunately, she has able to overcome her parents' lack of consistency, and she has created her own signs for certain things:

Swaying back and forth means "music." As a slight variant, swaying back and forth in front of a turned-off radio while pushing the buttons and making excited noises means, "Please turn on some music."

Putting her hand up to her ear means "phone." You'd be surprised how many small electronic gadgets get equated to telephones.

Patting the seat of a chair means, "Please put me up to sit in this chair."

Sitting on Mommy's lap facing her and pushing on her shoulders means, "Lay down on the floor and play with me."

Sitting on Mommy's lap facing her and pulling on her shoulders means, "Pick me up and carry me to the place that I'll show you." (Um, this sounds a bit like God's call to Abraham...)

Wrinkling up her nose and leaning towards you means, "Please kiss my forehead."

Holding both hands up means, "Pick me up."

Holding one hand up means, "Take my hand so I can stand up and walk."

That about covers all the bases of Alina's need-based vocabulary. In case you think there's something important missing, "Mam" is still her only recognizeable word. The translation is "Yum", and the implied meaning is, "FEED ME, I'M HUNGRY!"

1 comment:

Erica said...

I love it! Especially "pick me up and carry me to the place I will show you." My Niece did this to me when she was about 1 1/2. We were outside in her neighborhood and she got me to walk (carry her) about two blocks to the park. I had never been there, she really did steer me there. It was so facinating to me that she really knew what she was looking for. Her mom said "I had no idea she would know how to get there."