Thursday, January 31, 2008

Troubles in Intonation

This morning, I was reminded of the Einstein quote, "Whatever your troubles in mathematics, I assure you mine are still greater." I'm working on a Bach Partita, and this morning, I was practicing for intonation. (Aside: It must be great to play instrument where the note is always in tune, or if it's not, you just blame it on the piano tuner!) The funny thing is I spend lots of my time trying to teach my students to play in tune, but when I practice myself, I realize that my intonation still has a long way to go. Not that I'm comparing myself to Einstein. I mean, I guess I am, but that's not the point.

Anyway, I've been asked by the Protestant Museum here to play a concert for them at the end of April. I was able to convince them that they DIDN'T just want to hear the same program I played for them in September, and again somewhere else in October. So now I have the pleasure and the stress of learning something new.

It's interesting to be in a region where "protestantism" is such a fimly-established part of the cultural and historical landscape but where the Gospel is ignored. I hope that by being involved in things like this concert, I might get a chance to remind someone of the reason why their ancestors were willing to face persecution and death. It wasn't merely to leave them a cultural legacy.

No comments: