Sunday night, I made myself a promise. I decided that I will play my violin every day this week, no matter what. Finding practice time is a struggle for me. I'm frustrated by my lack of time, energy, and motivation. The hardest thing is feeling like I'm always starting over. I've achieved certain techniques, learned certain pieces, but every time I pick up my instrument, I feel like I need to review the basics because it's been so long since the previous time I practiced. So, I've decided to change that. I have no unrealistic expectations about how long I will practice each day, only that it will happen.
It happened yesterday. Of course, I only played in a discreet pizzicato, as I was in the living room and at least one little person was sleeping during my 2 10-minute sessions. Hopefully, this aspect will improve quickly. Why? Two reasons. First, we have finally followed the good and well-meaning advice we have received and instituted naptime at our house. No one is actually naive enough to believe this will involve any sleeping on Alina's part, but she's learning how to occupy herself alone in her room for a half an hour every afternoon, while her sister, theoretically at least, does sleep. Also, I've just purchased a baby monitor on ebay. I should get it in a few days, and this will allow me to go into the studio and practice while the girls are sleeping, even if Thomas is not home.
I'm also actively searching out performance opportunities for this year. The first schoolyear we were in Melle, I had several opportunities. Last year, nothing. I was OK with that, because baby-making sucked up most of my energy, anyway. But now I definitely feel the need to play with and for other people.
Wish me luck.
2 comments:
i say go girl! i know it has been hard for me to find the time and energy to do those things that are "mine" since having kids. but it is important to make the time. i have found when i do that it actually energizes me. so i do want to encourage you. play!
Bonne chance et si j'entends quelque chose qui pourrait être intéressant pour toi, je te fais signe bien sûr...et puis rien n'est plus important que prendre un peu de temps pour soi.
Post a Comment