Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rocks in the Offering Plate

I hope our treasurer won't be too surprised after church tomorrow.

You see, yesterday, I was picking strawberries in the garden and Alina was digging with her shovel. Then she made the surprising statement, "Me gettin' (she uses -ing verbs now!) some rocks for God." Unsure that I had understood, I asked her to repeat and, sure enough, that's what she said. I caught myself before I told her she was just being silly, and thought about the fact that she routinely presents me, Thomas, and her grandparents with rocks. They're little gifts. So, I asked her what she thought God would do with His rocks. She answered, "Throw them in water." Which is completely logical, as that's one of Alina's favorite activities.

Slightly at a loss as to exactly how to deal with this, I finally explained to Alina that since we can't see God, the church is here to do God's work. And so, that if we want to give things to God, often we will give them to the church.

Which is why there will be rocks in our offering plate tomorrow.

1 comment:

Erica said...

This is so sweet. I hope I am this wise with my kids.