Thursday, December 16, 2010

Seasonal

This blog has no pretentions of being a culinary blog. There are way too many kiddie picture for that. But, I wanted to share something that I've been thinking about recently, as we head into winter:

Seasonal vegetables.

I'm realizing that here, there are a whole array of vegetables that can continue to grow in winter, plus a whole other category of vegetables that keep well and so, even if they're harvested in the fall, they last all winter. I'm already thinking about how to plan our vegetable garden this next year so that it will continue to yield some over the late fall and winter. Here, off the top of my head, is a list of seasonal vegetables:

Endives (never seen those in Colorado)
Leeks (ditto)
Potatoes
Carrots
Turnips
Spinach
Cabbage
Celery (don't get a craving for celery sticks in the summer here, because it will go unfulfilled)
Pumpkin (have 5 liters of pumpkin soup in my freezer!)

Anyway, there are more, but I'm trying to plan meals around these sorts of things right now, instead of always buying lettuce and tomatoes. Tonight, we ate:

Winter Salad (invented by yours truly)
Half a red cabbage
5 grated carrots
2 large apples
walnuts
Salt, pepper, vinegar, and oil (be sure to put enough vinegar)

Serve with a baked potato. Yummy!!!!

1 comment:

theplasters said...

We can find "Belgian Endives" and Leeks in most supermarkets in the midwest. But we are happpy to live in France where we find all kinds of good vegetables (Jerusalem Artichoke, Vitelotte and all kinds of parsnips!)